Meditation can reduce stress, lower blood pressure, and make us more alive. There are many types of meditation from the disciplines of formal meditation to this simple method of paying attention. This is something you can do in just a few minutes.
1. Take a moment to notice the sounds around you. You may want to close your eyes. Focus on what you are hearing--a bird singing, traffic in the street, people talking, whatever the sounds, just notice.
2. Open your eyes and look at what is around you. Notice what is there. Look as if seeing for the first time. Really look, not evaluate or judge or categorize just look. Look at your hands.
3. Fill yourself with air, once, twice, three times. Notice how you feel.
4. Square your shoulders, straighten your back. Notice what you're thinking. Breathe.
5. Carry on with your day. Be you. Oscar Wilde said, 'Be yourself, Everyone else is already taken.'
Notice if this simple exercise has an effect on you--your mood, your experiences of the day. Be well.